Summer Place Theatre announces auditions for Sugar!
Book by Peter Stone
Based on the Screenplay “Some Like It Hot” by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond
Based on a Story by Robert Thoeren
Music by Jule Styne
Lyrics by Bob Merrill
Produced for the Broadway Stage by David Merrick
Directed and Choreographed for the Broadway Stage by Gower Champion
Download the Sugar audition form here.
Sugar is the musical version of your favorite comedy Some Like it Hot! To escape gangster Spats Palazzo, Joe and Jerry hitch a ride to Florida disguised as members of a band--a female band. Our production is directed by Vicki Jablonski with vocal direction by Ted Waltmire and music direction by Jose Flores. Performances are June 29-July 1 and July 13-15. There are no performances July 6-8.
Audition times and locations are as follows:
- Monday, May 14 from 7:00pm to 9:45pm in the Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center, 305 Jackson Ave, Naperville.
- Tuesday, May 15 from 7:00pm to 9:45pm in the Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center, 305 Jackson Ave, Naperville.
Please prepare 32 bars of a comedic musical theatre piece. You do not need to prepare a song from the show. Sheet music was never commercially published for this show, and the CD and LP are out of print. We'll be teaching the music to the cast. Instead, perhaps, prepare another classic Broadway song from the 50's or 60's; maybe a Jule Styne tune from one of his other scores. Whatever you choose, bring sheet music in the correct key for the accompanist. Also, wear comfortable clothes and shoes to learn a dance combination, and please bring tap shoes if you have them.
- SUGAR KANE – (Lead) Alto/Mezzo – Young female adult. A gorgeous blonde featured singer with the traveling girl band. Plays ukulele.
- JOE (JOSEPHINE) – (Lead) Tenor/Baritone - Young male adult, Unemployed saxophone player.
- JERRY (DAPHNE) – (Lead) Tenor/Baritone – Young male adult. Unemployed bass player.
- SPATS PALAZZO – (Major Support) Baritone – Male. A dapper tap-dancing gangland boss.
- SIR OSGOOD FIELDING – (Major Support) Baritone – Male. A mature millionaire.
- SWEET SUE – (Major Support) Alto – Female. Leader of Society Syncopators, an all-girl band.
- BIENSTOCK – Male. Band manager, nervous wreck.
- KNUCKLES NORTON – Male. Boss of rival gang.
- CAB DRIVER – Male. Driver in Chicago
- TRAIN CONDUCTOR – Male. Conductor on the Dixie Flyer.
- BELLBOY – Male. Works at Seminole Ritz in Miami Florida (Hotel Del).
- TRAIN ANNOUNCER – Male. Voice in Chicago train station.
- MUSICIANS CONTRACTOR – Chicago union contractor.
- DUDE – A member of Spats Palazzo gang.
- FIRST HOOD – A member of Knuckles gang.
- SECOND HOOD – A member of Knuckles gang.
- REPORTER – From Chicago news media.
- FIRST HENCHMAN – A member of Spats Palazzo gang.
- The Girls in the Band, Society Syncopaters
- OLGA – Female
- DOLORES – Female
- MARY LOU – Female
- ROSELLA – Female
- Garage Mechanic, Gangsters, Photographers, Newsreel Men & Millionaires
RSVP on Facebook to let us know you're coming! Please mail email@example.com with any questions.
Actors receive no pay for working in our productions.
Actors are required to pay a $25 costume & script fee if cast. Fees are collected by the read through.